wolfforce58205 asked: Do you have any good resources to give to someone who is dead-set on buying a Craigslist (BYB) German Shepherd? Both for shepherds and backyard breeders. My "friend" is trying to find the cheapest dog she can, stating she has $300 (that is ALL the money she can set aside) to spend on a puppy (she wants 8 weeks old) and everything it will need. She works most of the week and isn't home often. I KNOW she cannot handle a GSD, and she won't listen to anyone about not supporting a BYB. Please help!
Educate them on what’s wrong with BYB, if they’re not already aware of the issue.
- New Study Shows Dogs in Puppy Mills Suffer Long-lasting, Severe Psychological Harm
- What is a Backyard Breeder?
- What’s a puppy mill/farm?
Then help them recognize that the individual they intend to buy from is indeed a BYB, here’s some links on reputable vs. backyard breeders.
- Choosing a Breeder: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
- Have You Found A Good Breeder?
- Is This Breeder Reputable?
- Recognizing an unethical breeder
- Reputable Breeder vs. the Backyard Breeder
- Responsible Breeders vs. Backyard Breeders
- What to Know About Reputable vs. Backyard Breeding
If they’re the type of person who wants to “save” the dog, discuss with them how they’re actually doing more harm than good because even though they gave that, one dog a good home since they’re supporting the industry countless other canines will be hurt as a result.
Then you can help them find a responsible breeder,
- Finding a Dog From a Breeder
- Finding a responsible breeder
- Finding a Responsible Breeder- Myths and Facts
- Finding a Responsible Dog Breeder
- Free Dog & Puppy Breeder Search
- How To Find A Good Breeder
or even a rescue!
- AKC Rescue Network
- Breed Specific Rescues
- How to adopt a dog through breed-specific rescue groups
- National Purebred Dog Rescue